|Home||About||WTF?!?!?!||Program Overview||Our Partners||Donate||High Voltage||Blog||Members Only||Press|
Eat For Energy
Energy Up! Ten Food Commandments
(Everything you need to know about food on one page!)
1. Avoid Flour: Avoid anything made with white flour (especially wheat flour) like breads, bread crumbs, crackers, baked goods and pastas.
2. Avoid Added Sugar: Stay away from sugary treats like candy, cookies, cakes and other junk foods. Watch out for added sugars in salad dressings, tomato sauces, breakfast cereals, yogurts, breads, crackers, “fruit” snacks, etc. Reports say no more than 6-8 teaspoons a day that’s 24-32 grams MAXIMUM. Zero grams of added sugar is ideal.
3. Avoid or Limit Salt: Do your best to steer clear of salty snacks. Watch out for hidden salts in soups, cheese, packaged rice mixes, soy sauce and other condiments.
4. Avoid Processed Foods: Eat as close to nature as possible! Stay away from foods that come dumped in a box, stuffed in a bag, or wrapped in plastic -they’re loaded with chemicals, additives and addictive sugars and salts.
5. Drink Water: Without water, there is no life; without water, this program will not work. Drink 6 to 8 full glasses a day, more if you can.
6. Fruits and Vegetables: Enjoy all of nature’s best -- 5 to 9 servings daily. Eat all the colors of the Rainbow. Red, Yellow, Pink, Green, Purple, Orange, and Blue.
7. Poultry, Fish, Meat, Eggs: Do eat skinless chicken and turkey, fish, shellfish, and occasional cuts of lean meat. Stay away from sausage, bacon, processed luncheon meats, fatty marbled beef, goose and duck. Try to eat as much organic, antibiotic free poultry and grass beef as you can. Eggs: mix it up with egg whites if you’re watching cholesterol and calories and try for organic when possible.
8. Fats: A tablespoon of olive oil or other vegetable oil per day is fine. Beware of fats that are solid or appear solid at room temperature such as butter, margarine, lard, or shortening.
9. Dairy Products: Stick with nonfat milk, skim milk, rice milk, low-fat/low sodium cheeses, and non-fat yogurt, please. If your family can change one thing, switch to organic milk. Nobody needs the added hormones in regular milk and it will bring on puberty earlier.
10. Grains: Enjoy brown rice, wild rice, millet, barley, and other whole grains in moderate portions (1/2 cup servings).